How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse and Get Ahead in Business

The Walking Dead has eaten my brains! Seriously, I got through all three seasons in the last week and have been obsessed with it to the point that I can't shut up. Zombies are my thing. They are both my biggest fear and biggest obsession. I've been making zombie escape plans since I was six and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Now, as a long-time Z-Day planner, I feel like I've got a handle on what I would do in any given situation and like to nit-pick other people's (obviously flawed) plans.

I feel like the world is already zombified to an extent. The business world is constantly eating itself and we as consumers sort of follow the heard as we cannibalize everything around us. I don't necessarily this is all a bad thing, but preparations for a post-apocalyptic world does have quite a bit of relevance in getting ahead today (mid-apocalypse). 

How to Not Get Eaten

Run faster than everyone else

Whether your vying for the next promotion, a new position, or trying to top your industry, everyone is running. When it comes down to zombies, business, and bears - you don't have to kill them, you just have to outrun the next guy.

There is strength in numbers

Very closely related to speak softly and carry a big stick, seek strong partnerships where there is synergy and you make each other stronger, but don't let them use you to chum the zombie waters. Think Star Fleet - everyone had a place and they complemented each other. Your team can go faster that way more efficiently. Stand back to back while you fight and you stand a better chance. Also, by carrying your own weight you will help insure that they won't hamstring you while they run in the other direction.

Get up after you trip

In the horror movie of life, we all trip. The next step is pivotal: do not stare into the jaws of death! Get up and run, Forest! Letting your mistakes keep you down is the only sure way to fail. You can cry for a bit, scream your head off, even think about just laying there for a while. But after your bout of crazy, put on your big-boy pants and get back to it.

Turn around a bit more often

I LOVE that I found the picture below because it's so true. Don't let your past control your future the same way you can't just lay down after mistakes. But look back to see what you can do differently or how to repeat past victories. Also, you know, literally watch your back. 

Don't be a dick

I feel like this is a life rule in general, but it's especially true in any situation that involves stress. Some say that being able to eat your competition will get you ahead, and it will for a while. But the second they can, people will join together to beat you with sticks. We remember that really great person who kept their head. Be that guy.

Don't neglect to plant your seeds

Just because you're running now doesn't mean that you always will. If you never take the chance to plant your seeds for the future, once you get settled (or stranded) you won't have anything to rely on. Never miss an opportunity to plan ahead and try to better your situation, even if they don't all pan out. You'll have enough experience doing it that you'll just get better until you can reap what you've sown. 



Did I miss any? If you have survival techniques that should be added here, comment below or tell me via Google+ or Twitter!

If you couldn't tell, I'm still on a zombie kick and decided to forgo the usual Wednesday round-up. I hope this was a good substitute. If you missed it, last weeks round-up was also brought to you by zombies - the survival round-up with infographics that won't take time while you're running away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment